Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Title spotlight - "Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children" by Ransom Riggs

I have a list, very large, of titles that I wish to read without bringing in question the new books due to be published in the near or distant future. Still, such a thing will be impossible therefore my list grows almost on every day basis with a title, old or new, that I spotted. Recently, on one of my constant online places to visit, Stainless Steel Droppings, I discovered a book that otherwise I believe it would have skipped my attention, Ransom Riggs’ debut novel, “Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children”. As soon as I found Ransom Riggs“Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children” a series of factors set in motion my immediate decision to place the novel on my reading list and on my next shopping list. First of all, it was the title of the novel. I admit that I was mesmerized by the title of Ransom Riggs’ novel from the start and I am absolutely certain that I would have picked the book from the bookshop shelves if I saw it there only because of its title. Second, it is the recommendation made by Carl, the editor of Stainless Steel Droppings, in the review he posted on his blog. Third, it was the book trailer of the novel that looks really good. 2 minutes that are very efficient, an atmosphere and setting that make my imagination go wild already and it would make a reason enough on itself for me to check the novel. Last, but not least, it is the synopsis that promises a very interesting experience and adventure for the novel. And the mix of fiction and vintage photography sounds appealing to me. With so many attractive reasons there is no wonder for me that Ransom Riggs“Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children” ended up on my list of books I wish to read and that I am looking forward to grab a copy of the novel released by Quirk Books two weeks ago and start reading it.

A mysterious island.

An abandoned orphanage.

A strange collection of very curious photographs.

It all waits to be discovered in Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, an unforgettable novel that mixes fiction and photography in a thrilling reading experience. As our story opens, a horrific family tragedy sets sixteen-year-old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. As Jacob explores its abandoned bedrooms and hallways, it becomes clear that the children were more than just peculiar. They may have been dangerous. They may have been quarantined on a deserted island for good reason. And somehow - impossible though it seems - they may still be alive.

A spine-tingling fantasy illustrated with haunting vintage photography, Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children will delight adults, teens, and anyone who relishes an adventure in the shadows.

No comments: