Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Book trailer - "The Girl With All The Gifts" by M.R. Carey

Despite a prestigious and long career in the comic books my first encounter with Mike Carey’s works was made through “The Devil You Know”, the opening novel in his Felix Castor series. And although I didn’t succeed in reading all the adventures of Felix Castor he is one of characters I hold dear. But Felix Castor didn’t remain alone among Mike Carey’s characters I cherish, last year he was joined by the amazing cast of “The Steel Seraglio” (“The City of Silk and Steel” in the UK), the novel written by the author together with Linda Carey and Louise Carey. As a matter of fact, I didn’t love only the characters of “The Steel Seraglio”, but the entire novel. A novel that I could easily place among my absolute favorites, those which I would like to have with me on a deserted island in case of a shipwreck. So there is no wonder that I received with great joy and interest the announcements of Mike Carey’s next two novels, coming next year. Another collaboration with Linda Carey and Louise Carey, “The House of War and Witness” due to be released by Gollancz, and “The Girl With All The Gifts”, due to be released by Orbit Books. And if at “The House of War and Witness” I’ll come back later with another post, here are two more reasons for which I am eagerly anticipating “The Girl With All The Gifts”, a very interesting synopsis and a catchy trailer to accompany it. It already seems that 2014 would be a busy and juicy reading year.

Melanie is a very special girl. Dr Caldwell calls her 'our little genius'.

Every morning, Melanie waits in her cell to be collected for class. When they come for her, Sergeant keeps his gun pointing at her while two of his people strap her into the wheelchair. She thinks they don't like her. She jokes that she won't bite, but they don't laugh.

Melanie loves school. She loves learning about spelling and sums and the world outside the classroom and the children's cells. She tells her favourite teacher all the things she'll do when she grows up. Melanie doesn't know why this makes Miss Justineau look sad.

No comments: